Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I did say I would exercise more after the New Year

Can't quite get yourself to the gym? Feeling unmotivated or just a little too tired? Do you find yourself opening the fridge every 10 minutes just because you're bored? Have you tried and tried again to squeeze in time for exercise? Well, when all else fails...get a puppy.


Introducing Lola, my 7 week old Boston Terrier...scratch that...my 4 legged personal trainer. For abs she sacrifices her self-dignity to have me laughing so hard it's got to be the equivalent of 500 sit ups. For cardio she pretends she doesn't know she's supposed to relieve herself in the great outdoors and makes me bolt over to her to then get some squats in while I grab her and race outside which, as I'm sure she well knows, also involves step aerobics. I've never been one for waking up early (let alone getting up to exercise) and she not only has me out of bed to start my day at 5:00 am, but we also get up around 1:00 and 3:00 as well. She's so dedicated. For weight training I carry her around in her pet crate virtually every where I go and we often play a mean game of tug-o-war. As for snacking, I barely have time to eat the 3 squares let alone any snacking. I used to eat a snack at 10:00 am and 3:00 pm at work but since she accompanies me to work there will be none of that because she has me run her outside every chance I get. I do get in a quick meal at lunch though and my dinners are usually pretty small since I start cooking and while I'm chasing after her half my food either burns or, for instance, the steak is done and I haven't even started the rice or broccoli. So, I just eat the steak and call it good. I get the feeling that this is all to get me warmed up for when she's a fully certified trainer (has all her shots) and has me outside footin’ it around the neighborhood.

So, in a way, I have kept my New Year's resolution to exercise more. No, it's not the gym and I know I'm not walking like I should, but for all intents and purposes chasing around a puppy IS more movement than I normally involve myself in. I do intend to walk her quite a bit but she can't go yet, vet's orders. I'm sure I'll find my way back to the gym again but for right now, I'm not ready. I know how crowded it will be with all the New Year's resolution makers and I'm not ready to go fight with a rock hard Barbie lookin princess over a treadmill because, honey, I will snap her like a twig. Anytime my arm is as big as someone's waist there is some built up resentment there and I might unleash it upon them if pushed ever so slightly to the edge. I feel it is in society's best interest if I just wait it out. I'm sure it'll be down to the die-hards anytime now at which time the equipment will be free'd up and I will again have to find another excuse...I mean, and I will be rarin' to go and ready to sweat. Until then, Lola will do just fine.

No comments: