Friday, May 25, 2007

Let your own light shine

I’ve always appreciated a good quote. One that really makes you pause to consider it’s meaning and how it relates to your current state of things. I have my favorites (many of which are at least popular enough to make magnets out of), but here is something that every time I’m reminded of it, flat out gives me the chills.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

- Marianne Williamson

I know, right? Anyone else have a moment of goosebumpedness? I am SO that person that steps back and “plays small”. I’m taken advantage of, talked down to, treated less than I deserve. The worst part is…I LET them! I question myself more than I question others regardless of how right I may be. Or at least I used to. I’ve apparently grown very tired of being expected to bow down to anyone and everyone. I say things that I would never have previously considered, I stand up for myself, I don’t avoid causing ripples just because someone might not like it, I no longer feel the need to keep the peace. I am not Switzerland for God’s sake. Treat me badly and I will call you on it. Try to stifle me and I will only get louder.

If only I could apply this to my weight loss struggles. If I could stop being afraid to be gorgeous, afraid of getting that attention I’ve never had, afraid of being fierce.

No comments: