Friday, November 25, 2005

Another Thanksgiving under my belt...

and on my thighs, my hips and my ass. I’m still reeling from the insanity of it all. Mom initially vetoed the green been casserole but was in favor of my sister’s, for lack of an official name, Sugar Filled Sweet Potato Mush professing her well intended desire to keep it healthy. I quickly pointed out that while the grease fried crunchy onions weren’t what one might call nutritious, green beans were still considered a vegetable in most states and that with proper use of 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom soup this delectable dish could still pass for healthy (at least when juxtaposed to Sugar Filled Sweet Potato Mush). After careful deliberation she conceded and Green Bean Casserole was once again back on the menu for my 29th Annual Thanksgiving Day Eat Til You Puke Extravaganza.

Mom called me a couple nights before the event to give me the entire menu run down and it was right then and there that I knew one thing for sure…I was going to need a VERY stretchy waistband. My eyes glazed over as she read the list: turkey, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, spoonbread, fried okra, rolls, green bean casserole, sugar filled sweet potato mush and for dessert pumpkin pie and caramel apple pie. Am I the only one privy to the fact that, aside from the turkey, the green bean casserole is probably the healthiest item mentioned? I’m just sayin.

Fear of dehydration during the drive down to mom and dad’s had me starting my morning with an Eggnog Latte (hello fattening). Upon arrival and preparation of the green bean casserole I was quickly greeted with a cheese ball and wheat thins. Luckily it tasted slightly odd to me this year (mayhaps from the eggnog latte coating on my tongue) so I didn’t eat near as much as I usually do. Shortly thereafter it was time to gorge. I ate a healthy serving of everything but the mush and the spoonbread while drinking Mountain Dew and Eggnog. Later I shared TWO PIECES of pumpkin pie with my nephew. Oh, and less I forget, my cousin stopped by after dinner with additional rolls that one couldn’t possibly pass up as they were from my Aunt’s recipe that we don’t get very often.

Whew! I was feeling all right until I got home and sought refuge on the couch. I couldn’t even begin to get comfortable. I was bloated, sleepy, my stomach felt as if it would burst and, oddly, I still couldn’t stop thinking about those rolls. Luckily, I refused to take home any leftovers. Eating that way for a day is one thing. Eating that way for an entire week is a wee bit more than my waistline can handle at this point.

So my official, starting over, post 29th Annual Thanksgiving Day Eat Til You Puke Extravaganza weight is…wait for it…352. UGH! Anyway, let’s just see what kind of miracle I can work between now and Christmas shall we? Happy Holidays!

No comments: